Here’s a Shepherd’s Pie that is meat-free but still packed with protein, so perfect for bariatrics! The filling is made of root vegetables and a convenient can of mixed beans then topped with a cheesy sweet potato mash.
VEGETARIAN SHEPHERD’S PIE
Fry Light cooking spray
1 large red onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into chunks
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped into chunks
200 ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 x 700g jar passata
420g can mixed bean salad, drained and rinsed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
900g sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
75g reduced-fat mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas mark 5.
2. Spray a large non-stick pan with Fry Light, add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Stir in the carrots and parsnips and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the stock and rosemary and cook for 2-3 minutes until the stock is reduced by about half. Add the passata, beans and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Transfer to a large ovenproof baking dish.
4. Meanwhile, cook the sweet potatoes in boiling, salted water for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Drain and mash with half of the cheese. Season to taste and spoon over the vegetable mixture. Scatter with the remaining cheese.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Serve with a crisp green vegetable like broccoli or shredded cabbage.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
V suitable for vegetarians
* suitable for freezing
Image courtesy of Waitrose, where more than 5,000 recipes can be viewed at www.waitrose.com