What better combination than white chocolate and berries could you come up with for Valentine’s Day or an Anniversary special dessert? This is a winning combination because it’s also low-fat, low-sugar and has plenty of protein (yes really!). So perfect for a bariatric treat (even if just a sliver). I’ve given the nod to celebration by preparing in a heart-shaped mould but you could just as easily make in a 20-cm/8-inch shallow spring-form pan or loose-bottomed cake tin/pan. The white-chocolate roses used as a decoration on this occasion are not sugar-free (baking suppliers note we would like some!) but add a romantic touch! I have frozen pieces of this ‘cheesecake’ and found it freezes well…so you needn’t invite 6 others for tonight’s special twosome meal!
WHITE CHOCOLATE AND BERRY CHEESECAKE
low-fat cooking spray
175g/6oz light or reduced-fat digestive biscuits/light or reduced-fat graham crackers, crushed
75g/6 tbsp low-fat spread or light butter, melted
23g/1 oz packet sugar-free raspberry or strawberry jelly/jello crystals
23g/1 oz packet sugar-free white chocolate jelly/jello crystals
500g/generous 1 lb virtually fat-free Quark
200g/7 oz fat-free thick Greek yogurt
5 large strawberries, thinly sliced
reduced-fat whipped cream, white chocolate roses and strawberries to serve (optional)
1. Generously spritz the base and sides of a 20-cm/8 inch shallow spring-form pan or loose-bottomed cake tin/pan with low-fat cooking spray. Alternatively prepare a heart-shaped tin/pan or silicone mould in the same way.
2. To make the base, mix the digestive biscuit/graham cracker crumbs with the melted low-fat spread and spoon into the prepared tin/pan and press down firmly to make a smooth and even base. Chill to set, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to make the topping, dissolve the jelly/jello crystals in 300 mls/11/4 cups boiling water and allow to cool until hand hot.
4. Beat the Quark with the yogurt until smooth. Gradually add the dissolved and cooled jelly/jello until well blended then fold in the sliced strawberries. Pour onto the prepared base and chill to set, about 2 hours.
5. To serve, release the cheesecake from the tin/pan/mould and transfer to a serving plate. Top with swirls of whipped reduced-fat cream, strawberries and white chocolate roses if liked. Cut into slices to serve.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-1
* suitable for freezing
V suitable for vegetarians
CALORIES PER SERVING (without decoration): 180
Image copyright of Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd