I have been busy finishing the new RETURN TO SLENDER EARLY AUTUMN BARIATRIC NEWSLETTER (have you subscribed to get it on the home page?) and wanted to include this recipe. Sadly space meant a couple of recipes had to be put on the back-burner and this was one.
I was disappointed because this is a fabulous recipe and just now cauliflowers are at an unbelievably low and bargain price. So here it is on the website instead.
Cauliflower Cheese is a classic and I have tweaked my traditional recipe to make it bariatric friendly. The sauce is made with skimmed milk and strong cheese (so you don’t need as much to get the flavour), which virtually halves the fat content. Choose the strongest reduced-fat cheese you can find for a mouth-tingling bite! Add a little chopped ham, flaked tuna, sliced cooked sausage or cooked roasted vegetables (I like peppers/capsicums and aubergine/eggplant with a little broccoli) if you want to increase the protein or make the dish more hearty.
ULTIMATE BARIATRIC CAULIFLOWER CHEESE
1 tbsp light butter
1 tbsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tbsp plain/all-purpose flour
600 ml/21/2 cups skimmed milk
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
100 g/1 cup grated low-fat strong or vintage hard cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
25 g/1/2 cup fresh soft wholemeal breadcrumbs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6.
2. Heat the light butter and oil in a pan then add the onion, mixing well. Cook gently for 10-15 minutes until pale golden and translucent.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
4. Gradually add the milk, a little at a time, and beat well until smooth, thickened and boiling. Add the mustard, cayenne pepper, cheese and salt and pepper to taste, mixing well until smooth.
5. Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower for 3-4 minutes until just cooked but crisp (or boil for the same time but drain extremely well). Transfer to a large baking dish and pour over the prepared cheese sauce.
6. To make the topping, mix the breadcrumbs with the cheese and scatter on top of the cauliflower mixture.
7. Bake for 25 minutes until the top is golden and crisp. Sprinkle with chopped parsley to garnish before serving. Delicious served with a crisp green salad.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION: 285