Chicken thighs are often considered more pouch friendly than chicken breasts. Here they are combined with a tasty stuffing made with oats, apricots and sage. This is sure to become a family favourite recipe so ring the changes occasionally by replacing the apricots in the stuffing with dates or diced apple and toasted pinenuts. WLS patients should ideally remove the skin before serving.
CHICKEN WITH OAT, SAGE AND APRICOT STUFFING
Fry Light spray
8 chicken thighs, scored
15 g fresh sage leaves
150 g dried apricots
1 large onion, finely chopped
75 g rolled porridge oats
100 g wholemeal breadcrumbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tbsp water
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C/gas mark 6.
2. Heat a large frying pan until hot. Add a few sprays of Fry Light and the chicken, skin-side down. Fry for about 4-5 minutes until the skin is golden.
3. Transfer to a roasting tin or dish. Top each thigh with a whole sage leaf. Reserve 8 whole apricots and set aside.
4. Chop the remaining sage and remaining apricots.
5. Add the onion to the pan juices and cook over a gentle heat until golden.
6. Add the oats, breadcrumbs, sage, apricots and salt and pepper to taste, mixing well. Cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring well.
7. Remove from the heat, add the water and mix to make a stuffing. Divide and mould into 4 large stuffing balls and add to the roasting tin or dish.
8. Roast for 25-30 minutes, placing the reserved apricots on top of the chicken thighs halfway through cooking. Serve with freshly cooked vegetables.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
Protein: 45 g
Carbohydrate: 41 g
Fat: 2.9 g
Image courtesy of allaboutoats.com