Heirloom tomatoes, in all their higgledy-piggledy beauty of colours, and sun-kissed nectarines with their golden-fleshed (or demure white-fleshed) beauty, encapsulate for me the height of summer. So how about giving them a love match?
I’ve done precisely that with the remains of my heirloom tomato haul and some bargain yellow-fleshed nectarine farmer’s market find. They mix and match in terms of flavour magnificiently but I found just a hint of the saltiness and piquancy of just a sprinkling of crumbled feta lifted them into the luxury and unforgettable class. A simple dressing of fat-free dressing with a little chopped basil would suffice for this light salad pairing or starter dish but, with the feta as inspiration, I drizzled mine with some tzatziki dressing. The cool yogurt, mint and cucumber dressing or dip can be made from scratch very easily or you can buy a good ready-prepared one for speed.
TASTE OF SUNSHINE SALAD
1 large ripe nectarine
100 g/4 oz tomatoes, I used a selection of heirloom ones
25 g/1 oz reduced-fat or light feta
2 tbsp fat-free French dressing (flavoured with chopped fresh basil) or tzatziki dressing
1. Halve the nectarine, remove and discard the stone then slice the flesh into bite-sized pieces or chop if preferred.
2. Chop or slice the tomatoes according to size and place on a serving plate with the nectarines.
3. Crumble the feta and sprinkle over the salad.
4. Drizzle with the dressing to serve.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-1
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION: 77
And if, like me, you still have a glut of tomatoes here are some more ways to use them in bariatric-friendly dishes:
* as a Salsa – perfect for serving with bbq fare and plain roasted or grilled offerings. Also great on rice cakes, and as a dip for vegetable crudites. Recipe here
* as a part of a pack-up-and-go Salad, like this shake and serve chicken pasta salad. Recipe here
* on a Pizza – our bariatric-friendly version is hard to beat and on the table in just 10 minutes. Recipe here
* for Stuffing and Baking with your favourite ragu style mixture. Recipe for ragu here