Am I the only one to find this time of year tricky food wise? I don’t want to give up on lighter summery dishes but also feel the need for something a bit more comforting to cope with the cooler temperatures (especially in the evening or at sun down). I find the solution is to try and straddle the divide with some warming flavours incorporated into lighter meal options.
This is one such dish – chicken cooked with warming ginger, zesty orange and aromatic cinnamon in an easy Middle-eastern style light stew. I have used for convenience a frozen vegetable base mix that has carrot, celery and onion but you can make your own fresh from the same vegetables.
It’s served with broccoli rice but you can use cauliflower (see details here) or ordinary if you prefer and can tolerate. Another option is to stir in canned chickpeas instead for a one-pot meal.
It’s high in protein but low in fat and sugars and has 3 of your five a day (if you’re counting). The delight for me is having it on the table in about 40 minutes!
TAGINE-STYLE ORANGE CHICKEN
low-fat cooking spray or mist
500 g/1 lb chicken breast fillets, cut into chunks
300 g/11 oz mixed chopped vegetable base (I used Asda frozen Scratch Cook Vegetable Base Mix with carrot, celery and onion finely chopped)
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or frozen root ginger (I use Lazy Ginger in a jar or frozen)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 orange, zest cut into thin strips and the flesh sliced
1 red pepper/capsicum, cored and chopped
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
100 g/1 cup green pitted olives, halved
2 cinnamon sticks
400 ml/1¾ cups vegetable stock/bouillon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
300 g/11 oz broccoli rice (or cauliflower etc – see intro)
coriander/cilantro leaves, to serve
- Generously spritz a large flameproof casserole or stove-top pan, heat, add the chicken and fry for 2-3 minutes until browned. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the vegetable base mix, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomato paste, orange zest and red pepper/capsicum, stirring well.
- Return the chicken to the pan with the tomatoes, olives, cinnamon sticks. Pour over the stock/bouillon and bring to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper, cover and cook on a low heat for 18-20 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- To serve, cook the broccoli rice according to recipe instructions and divide between serving plates. Remove and discard the cinnamon sticks from the stew, then spoon the chicken mixture over the rice. Top with orange slices and coriander/cilantro to serve.
WLS PORTION: ½
CALORIES PER PORTION: 308
PROTEIN: 41.4 g
CARBOHYDRATE: 18.4 g
FAT: 7.5 g
Image courtesy of http://www.asda.com