Who would have guessed that we would be looking at warming, comfort food in August? Such are the vagaries of the British weather (and even around the world) that nothing seems to surprise anymore! So here is my new recipe for a meat-based chilli….it’s different to the one in my ‘Return to Slender’ cookbook which is oven-baked slowly for tenderness. This variation is just as good, equally as tender, and can be on the table in 30 minutes!
SUPER SPEEDY CHILLI CON CARNE
500g/1lb extra-lean minced beef/ground beef
1 large onion or 2 red onions, chopped
400g/14 oz can chopped tomatoes in rich tomato juice
1 red or green chilli, deseed and diced (or 1/2 tsp chopped Lazy Chillies)
1 beef stock/bouillon cube
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper
420g/14 1/2 oz can chilli beans (red kidney beans in a chilli sauce)
1. Heat a large, non-stick frying or deep saute pan. Add the beef and cook, stirring frequently, until browned on all sides.
2. Add the onion and cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, chilli, stock/bouillon cube, Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste, mixing well. Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the chilli beans, mixing well, re-cover and cook for a further 10 minutes until tender.
5. Serve with a little wholegrain cooked rice and a spoonful of guacamole (if liked).
WLS PORTION: 1/2
* suitable for freezing
Calories per portion: 285
Image courtesy of Tesco