Whether you’re going strawberry picking in your own garden (I have a little ‘secret’ one with just a few baby wild strawberries, borage and mint growing there – perfect for drinks and salads); at the local pick-your-own set up; or simply selecting a punnet from your local supermarket – here is a recipe that’s a little bit more daring than the usual salad one. Fabulous for a weekend when you wish to push the boat out …
It’s a warm salad made with freshly cooked chicken mini fillets, crunchy spinach leaves, sliced avocado, a sprinkling of fresh herbs, a handful of chopped strawberries, a scattering of crumbled feta and a drizzle of a strawberry dressing that lifts this dish into the luxury class. The strawberries offer a sweet yet sharp edge to the chicken and other ingredients that makes them literally come to life!
‘SECRET GARDEN’ CHICKEN, STRAWBERRY & AVOCADO SALAD
400 g/ 3¼ cups whole strawberries, hulled
juice of ½ lemon
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch of chilli powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Romaine lettuce heart, shredded
large handful of baby spinach leaves or watercress sprigs
4 sticks/stalks celery, chopped
150 g/5 oz pack sweet mini peppers/capsicums, seeded and thinly sliced
½ cucumber, sliced
2 avocados, peeled, stoned and sliced
1 tbsp mixed snipped chives and chopped mint
low-fat cooking spray or mist
375 g/12 oz mini chicken fillets
50 g/2 oz light feta cheese, crumbled
- To make the dressing, chop 100 g/2/3 cup of the strawberries and place in a blender or food processor with the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, oil, chilli powder and salt and pepper to taste. Process until smooth.
- In a large salad bowl mix the lettuce with the spinach leaves or watercress sprigs, celery, peppers, cucumber, avocado and herbs.
- Slice the remaining strawberries and add to the salad mixture.
- Generously spritz a frying pan with the low-fat cooking spray or mist. Heat, add the chicken fillets and cook until tender and golden.
- Add the warm chicken fillets to the salad with the crumbled feta and toss gently to mix.
- Drizzle over the prepared strawberry dressing to serve.
WLS PORTION: ½
CALORIES PER PORTION: 385
PROTEIN: 28.9 g
CARBOHYDRATE: 12.8 g (11 g sugars)
FAT: 24.2 g
Image courtesy of http://www.aldi.co.uk