Here is the 2nd recipe in my Bariatric Budget Busters selection…great tasting, bariatric-friendly recipes that won’t break the bank!
I am often asked for a vegetarian burger recipe and also if I can come up with a mushroom recipe that is likely to be tolerated by many bariatric or WLS patients. Not everyone finds mushrooms easy to digest after surgery but if they are well chopped and chewed then there is a better chance that you can still enjoy these so this recipe scores on both levels.
If we get some half-decent barbecue weather this Jubilee weekend then they will feature on our barbecue but can be just as easily cooked in a pan. Serve with or without half a toasted ciabatta roll and some sliced tomatoes if liked or simply plain topped with the flavoured yogurt sauce.
SUMMER MUSHROOM AND CHICKPEA BURGERS
low-fat cooking spray
250g/8 oz chestnuts mushrooms, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
6 spring onions/scallions, sliced
1 tbsp medium curry powder
grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
400g/14 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
75 g/11/2 cups fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tbsp fat-free thick Greek yogurt
large pinch ground cumin
1. Generously spritz a pan with low-fat cooking spray. Heat, add the mushrooms, garlic and spring onions and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add the curry powder, lemon zest and juice and cook for 2 minutes or until the mixture looks quite dry. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
3. Use a potato masher or fork to mash the chickpeas in a bowl, leaving a few chunky pieces. Add to the mushroom mixture with salt and pepper to taste, then divide and shape into 4 burgers or patties.
4. To cook, spritz a large non-stick frying pan with low-fat cooking spray, heat then add the prepared burgers and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Finish on the barbecue over medium coals if liked.
5. Meanwhile, mix the yogurt with the cumin and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the burgers and toasted ciabatta and sliced tomatoes if liked.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-3/4
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION (WITHOUT BREAD AND TOMATOES): 170
Image courtesy of The Mushroom Bureau www.moretomushrooms.com