OK so this isn’t an authentic or traditional paella but it’s flavoursome, speedy and as bariatric-friendly as I can make it. I have used a sachet of 7 grain mix by Seeds of Change (with long-grain brown rice, barley, rye, millet, bulghur wheat, red quinoa and wild rice in the mix) to prepare but you can use all rice, cauliflower rice (see here) or any other combo of grains or rice that you can tolerate or like. It’s ideal if you have some left-over rice or grains to use up.
The flavouring comes from the chorizo, roasted peppers and smoked paprika. I used some frozen slices of roasted peppers but you can use fresh (just cook a little longer), canned or those in a jar for convenience. Peas used were frozen straight from the freezer and the dish was still ready for the table in about 15 minutes.
If you wish to boost the protein then you could add some pieces of cooked chicken or a few cooked prawns/shrimp with the grain or rice mix. Without these additions this is also a thrifty recipe and so is included as one of our Bariatric Budget Buster recipe ideas.
SPEEDY SMOKY CHORIZO ‘PAELLA’
50 g/2 oz chorizo (for cooking), thinly sliced
½ onion, finely chopped
75 g/3 oz frozen peas or petits pois
5 tablespoons very hot stock/bouillon
100 g/4 oz roasted red and yellow peppers/capsicums (I used frozen slices)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 x 240 g/8 oz packet/pouch cooked Seven Grain Mix or 250 g/12/3 cup cooked rice or rice and grains of choice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
lemon wedges to serve
- Cook the chorizo and the onion in a large frying or sauté pan until the onion has softened, the chorizo has released its oils and has started to brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, pour the hot stock/bouillon over the frozen peas and leave to stand.
- Add the peppers/capsicums and smoked paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the grains or rice, stock/bouillon with peas and salt and pepper to taste, mixing well. Increase the heat slightly and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the stock/bouillon has been absorbed.
- Serve sprinkled with the parsley and with lemon wedges for squeezing over.
WLS PORTION: ½
CALORIES PER PORTION: 300
FAT: 8.8 g
Image © copyright of Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd