I’m all for seasonal food, tuned into the joys of simplicity, and beginning to eat again outdoors using the barbecue (can you hear the sizzle?). I am also very aware that this week in National Vegetarian Week and so this recipe fits the bill when it comes to the seasonal, simple, sizzling score, as well as being vegetarian.
I adore the punchy saltiness of halloumi cheese (also called ‘squeaky’ cheese here) and when it is paired with new season asparagus it’s sublime. It’s also a great cheese to have to standby since it keeps in its packet in the refrigerator for weeks on end. When marinated or drizzled with lime juice and a red confetti of chilli and speared onto skewers it makes a great high protein option. You could serve as part of buffet spread but to be honest I have had this as a main meal option with just a few tomatoes on the side and it was gorgeous. Another KISS ( keep it simple sweetheart) dish.
Most halloumi is vegetarian but do check the back of pack to make sure it isn’t made with animal-derived rennet. I have used a light halloumi but it works well with fuller fat too.
2 x 250 g/8 oz packs light halloumi cheese
1 2 250 g/8 oz pack asparagus tips
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
½ red chilli, sliced or chopped
freshly ground black pepper
lime quarters and a few herb sprigs to garnish
- Drain the packs of halloumi cheese and then cut into finger-sized pieces.
- Cut the asparagus spears in half.
- Carefully thread the halloumi and asparagus onto skewers.
- Beat the lime juice with the oil, chilli and pepper to taste. The mixture shouldn’t need any salt since the cheese is usually salty enough.
- Brush over the kebabs and bbq or grill/broil, turning occasionally until golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve hot or warm with leim quarters and a few herbs sprigs to garnish. Delicious with a side plate of tomato salad.
WLS PORTION: ½
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION: 387
Image courtesy of http://www.aldi.co.uk