Here is a sausage recipe unlike one you might have seen before. It’s certainly a change from the usual bangers and mash! Weight-loss surgery friendly, the sausages are teamed with oven-roasted vegetables and pumpkin seeds. The fresh thyme also lifts this simple dish into the luxury class.
SAUSAGES WITH ASPARAGUS, SQUASH AND COURGETTE RIBBONS
250 g butternut squash cut into ribbons with a cheese slicer or potato peeler
200g courgette, sliced into ribbons as above
100g asparagus spears, cut in half vertically through the stem
25g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
25g pumpkin seeds
5 sprigs fresh thyme
4 Debbie and Andrews sausages
1 tsp virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180 c/gas mark 4.
2. Place the squash and courgette ribbons on a non-stick baking sheet. Top with the asparagus and sprinkle with the sun-dried tomatoes, pumpkin seeds and thyme. Cover with foil and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the sausages on another non-stick sheet and cook for 25 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes.
4. Remove the foil from the vegetables, drizzle with the oil and season with black pepper to taste. Return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes.
5. Serve the cooked sausages with the roasted vegetables.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
Image courtesy of Debbie and Andrews sausages www.debbieandandrews.co.uk