This is a wonderfully indulgent dish, suitable for vegetarians, since it uses Quorn bacon style rashers and mince. If you find that you are somewhat intolerant of egg yolks then leave them out, the dish is just as good, if just a little less creamy in texture. Serve with a little extra grated Parmesan if liked. WLS patients at the amber/soft food stage should puree their portion to serve.
QUORN PASTA CARBONARA
225g dried spaghetti
Fry Light low-fat cooking spray
1 small onion or shallot, finely chopped
150g pack Quorn bacon style rashers, chopped
150g pack Quorn mince
100ml low-fat creme fraiche
2 egg yolks
pinch of ground nutmeg
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the spaghetti in boiling salted water until cooked al dente, following pack instructions.
2. Meanwhile, spray a non-stick pan with Fry Light, add the onion or shallot, Quorn bacon style rashers and Quorn mince, mixing well. Cook gently for about 5-10 minutes until the onion is softened.
3. Mix the creme fraiche in a bowl with the egg yolks, nutmeg, half the parsley, Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Drain the cooked spaghetti, reserving 2 large spoonfuls of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pan, add the Quorn mixture and the reserved cooking water, mixing well.
5. Add the creme fraiche mixture and stir gently, over a very gentle heat, until the ingredients are well combined.
6. Serve at once, sprinkled with the remaining parsley.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
Image courtesy of Quorn