Ooh! you’re going to love this morning breakfast delight! Especially if you like oats, bananas and caramel, or Banoffee Pie (in my dreams). It’s my latest overnight oats experiment that I would happily hibernate with for the rest of winter.
When I say caramel then I have an unusual ingredient that I have used to get the caramel hit – Werther’s Original sugar-free butter candy. I tried this because so many of you say it’s hard to come across an inexpensive sugar-free caramel syrup when you just want a drizzle or two every now and again. My take was that if you smashed these little sweeties/candies and left them to soak in your oat mixture they will dissolve into a caramel syrup – and bingo! they did.
Now I have no idea if these are available worldwide but I guess they are not just available in the UK and if you can’t find them then use another caramel sugar-free candy instead or use sugar-free syrup (I like the Da Vinci ones and Sweet Freedom syrup too).
The recipes makes two WLS portions but non-wls eaters may well manage both.
OVERNIGHT BANOFFEE OATS
1 large banana
35 g/4 tbsp porridge oats
150 g/2/3 cup fat-free plain or banana yogurt
½ tsp vanilla or salted caramel essence
4 Werther’s Original sugar-free butter candy sweets/candies
- Mash three-quarters of the banana and reserve the remainder for later (wrap tightly in cling film or slice and dip in lemon juice and save in the refrigerator).
- Mix the oats with the mashed banana, three-quarters of the yogurt and essence, mixing well. Reserve the yogurt in the refrigerator.
- Smash the candies in a small bag with a heavy rolling pin or hammer – reserve some of the larger pieces, about one-quarter, for sprinkling over the finished oats and set aside for later.
- Layer half of the oats in 2 small serving glasses, top with an equal quantity of the crushed candies then top with the remaining oat mixture. Cover and leave to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day, un-cover. Top with the sliced reserved banana and the reserved yogurt. Sprinkle with the remaining crushed candy to serve.
WLS PORTION: 1
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER WLS PORTION: 183
Image © copyright of Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd