At the weekend we were fortunate enough to have tickets to go to a food and produce sale at Heckfield House. It’s only a small affair but the foods on offer are absolutely superb and I came away with some wonderful white currants, seasonal salad (complete with edible flowers), courgettes/zucchini, and the most flavoursome raspberries I have tasted this year. There might have also been a ginger cake too (just saying) …
The raspberries made their way into this protein-packed prawn and raspberry salad – and oh my goodness but they were good!
It’s a salad that only takes a few minutes to throw together but packs a host of flavours and some unusual textural surprises. It’s great as a salad on a plate but I think would also be beautiful in a tortilla wrap for those with heartier appetites.
OMG PRAWN & RASPBERRY SALAD
Marinade and Dressing:
2 tsp sesame oil
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 small red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
salt and freshly ground black pepper
200 g/11/3 cups prawns/shelled shrimp
large handful of spinach leaves
25 g/1 oz alfalfa sprouts
50 g/½ cup raspberries
½ small avocado, stoned and sliced
½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- To make the marinade/dressing, mix the oil with the garlic, lime zest and juice, soy sauce, chilli if using, coriander/cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Remove about a quarter of the mixture and set aside for the dressing.
- Add the prawns/shelled shrimp to the remaining mixture and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Put the prawns/shrimp on skewers and lightly grill/broil for a few seconds each side, then drizzle with half the reserved dressing.
- Toss the spinach with the alfalfa sprouts and the last of the reserved dressing.
- Add the prawns/shrimp, raspberries, avocado and red onion and toss gently to mix to serve.
WLS PORTION: ½
CALORIES PER PORTION: 420
PROTEIN: 38.5 g
CARBOHYDRATE: 18.8 g (9.5 g sugars)
FAT: 23.1 g
Image courtesy of http://www.berryworld.com