Curious things happen in October. Pumpkins transform into faces and shiny conkers fall from the sky! There seems to be magic afoot as bubbling pots of root vegetables turn into velvety smooth soups and windfall apples become a wonderful cake or pie.
Outside, there’s even more wonder at work; the leaves turn from green to jewel-like colours, there are berries galore to gather and seedheads sway for the birds to feast upon.
So this is the month to make magic happen in the kitchen and to make mischief when darkness falls. Try your hand at some of our autumn recipes from the latest free Autumn Newsletter; wrap yourself up and brace the outdoors to see Fall at its finest, or have what the Danish call a hygge evening of warmth, comfort and ‘homeliness’.
See the free Autumn Newsletter by clicking here
What will I be doing? I’ve set a few challenges and chores to complete ….
- I’ll be trying out my Cauliflower Tater Tots recipe with broccoli instead. I’ve been told they’re just as delicious and am eager to try and taste …
Cauliflower Tater Tots recipe here
- I’ll be checking out some spooky but delicious ideas for Hallow’een and Bonfire Night – I already have plans for a couple of sticky treats. And whilst I hate to mention the ‘C’ word too early (really I do!) I shall be starting on my festive recipes and advice to get you through the holiday season. I’m already looking at some Romansco Cauliflower Christmas Tree ideas ….
But first there will be some ideas for POSH SQUASH food ideas coming in the next week or two …
- I’m also attending a couple of special conferences and meetings to meet with WLS professsionals and patients alike. I’ll be asking for all the latest on surgery updates, some details on experiences we can all benefit from knowing about, and getting the best advice I can for those who are long-term post-op and who often feel they have been forgotten when it comes to post-op care. Many experience REGAIN and want to know what they should be doing about it – looking at more surgery; checking back on revised basics; upping the exercise or a combination of things? I’ll be reporting back throughout the month.
- I’ll be doing the usual overhaul of my own dietary regime. The summer months aren’t usually too unkind to me – I’m a salad lover and eat well when the sun shines. This summer has however seen a number of special occasions where I have gone off-piste a few times and we all know how hard it is to reign back once the rot sets in! My daughter got married in June and whilst I was super-careful prior to this event (my clingy dress was quite unforgiving!) I loosened the stays afterwards. A couple of kgs (4 lbs) might not seem like much of a gain but it shows and therefore has to ‘go’!
I plan to do this by being very strict with my portion sizes and using all my portion-controlled aids every day and for every meal at home (or in my bento away). Extra swims have also been scheduled to try and shave away at this excess.
Bariatric Portion Plate; Cups; Bento Box (details here)
- I am also finalising the completion of transferring my ‘Return to Slender’ books to e-book format so that those of you who want an electronic version can have one to hand and those who dislike the shipping charges for a hard copy to be sent around the world have another option to consider. They’ll be available through the usual channels but more about that towards the end of the month.
So what are your plans? Can we help make them become a reality and a success? Do let us know by posting here or sending a request or email via the contacts page – whatever the query or request you can be sure of a warm welcome! Happy October!