I was looking for a treat for the coming weekend that would also double-up as a breakfast grab and go meal option too. These oaty, nutty and fruity squares deliver! Made with oat flour (I made my own by whizzing some ordinary oats in my food processor – 1¼ cups oats made the 1 cup of flour required), protein powder (I used a bariatric blend), low-sugar syrup (I used Sweet Freedom), flaked almonds, no added sugar jam/jelly, and raspberries, they look good too. A hint of cinnamon gave a bit of additional flavour. I am sure you could add other berries instead of raspberries too – blueberries and blackberries spring to mind.
I have a few in the freezer and it looks to date like they will freeze well – but haven’t tried after long term storing as yet.
OATY & RASPBERRY CRUNCH SQUARES
125 g/1 cup oat flour (see intro)
40 g/1 large scoop/1½ oz vanilla protein powder (I used Protein World Slender Blend)
125 g/1½ cups porridge oats
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
50 g/¼ cup flaked almonds
175 g/¾ cup sugar-free syrup (I used Sweet Freedom)
250 g/¾ cup sugar-free or no added sugar raspberry jam/jelly
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6 and line a 25 x 15 cm/10 x 6 inch baking dish with greaseproof paper.
- Place the oat flour, protein powder, porridge oats, cinnamon, salt, three-quarters of the almonds and syrup in a food processor and blitz in bursts to make a crumble dough – do not over process.
- Press two-thirds of this mixture in the dish and cover with the jam/jelly.
- Cover with the remaining crumble, level the surface and sprinkle with the remaining almonds.
- Top with the raspberries to make 20 even sized squares for cutting later.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool then cut into squares to serve.
WLS PORTION: 1
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER SQUARE (WILL VARY WITH PROTEIN POWDER, JAM/JELLY AND SYRUP USED): 110
PROTEIN: 3.5 g
CARBOHYDRATE: 21.9 g
FAT: 2.5 g
Image © copyright of Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd