Oaty Pistachio and Coconut Bar and the Bariatric Bento Box
Sunday is the day when I try to prep ahead for some of the things I will need food-wise during the week – so I will often take the time to make some overnight oat mixtures, crustless quiches, vanilla egg custards, salad and bean mixtures, ragout sauce, and a sweetish treat. The latter is often eaten as a breakfast on the go item (along with a piece of fruit) or as a snack type treat during the day when hunger is real. I make these because to be honest I have rarely found a ready-made treat or breakfast type biscuit that satisfies me and also fulfils the nutritional stats I want. So many are too high in added rather than natural sugar and have an additive list as long as my arm.
I’ve come up with a few before and they can be found at the bottom of this post but here’s another one that I have made today which I am rather
pleased with. It’s simple to make, is low in sugar and reasonable in fat, not sky high in calories (even if you eat two) and travel well if a little crumbly. They will be in my lunchbox and travel bag this week since I’m hitting the road to travel for some 3 days. I have cut them into 16 fingers which is great for a bariatric portion but if you want to make them larger as squares then do so but remember the stats will change. Likewise they are not overly sweet so if you want them stickier and sweeter then add an additional 1 tbsp syrup.
I think you could add some extras like chopped dried cranberries, snipped dried apricots and even a few dots of sugar-free chocolate pieces if so desired. I’m even going to stick my neck out and say they would be good as a Mother’s Day treat and for Easter (on the horizon) – make a batch for someone you want to say thank you to.
Bariatric Bento Box (details here)
OATY PISTACHIO AND COCONUT FINGERS
110 g/1 cup raw shelled pistachio nuts
90 g/1 cup porridge or rolled oats
pinch of salt
4 tbsp Sweet Freedom syrup (or use maple syrup or agave syrup if preferred)
2 tbsp olive or salad oil
25 g/generous ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
few extra chopped pistachio nuts to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/gas mark 6. Line a 20-cm/8 -inch square, shallow tin/pan with parchment paper or greased foil.
- Place the pistachios, oats and salt in a food processor and whizz until very finely chopped – about 30 seconds.
- Mix the syrup with the oil and, with the motor running, add to the nut and oat mixture and process to form a crumble but moist dough (it does not stick together at this point).
- Spoon into the tin/pan and firm down with a palette knife or the back of a spoon to level. Sprinkle with the coconut flakes and extra pistachios if used.
- Bake for 12 minutes until the top is golden and the biscuit/cooked mixture is cooked through. Remove by lifting via the parchment paper or foil (on both sides) to cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into fingers, squares or oblongs as liked. Store in an airtight tin – they will keep for up to 1 week.
MAKES: 16 small fingers
WLS PORTION: 1
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER FINGER: 93
Images copyright © of Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd