Here’s a wonderfully simple lunchbox idea made with cooked new potatoes (in their skins) with roasted peppers, tuna and green salad leaves. Cooking the potatoes for this dish means they can be tossed in the dressing while still hot and they will soak up the flavours, but you can use leftover cooked ones if it suits you better. You could also substitute the potatoes for chick peas if preferred.
Likewise you may wish to roast your own peppers for the meal or use (as I have) some ready-roasted ones from a jar. As for the tuna – I have used a can where it is preserved in spring water but there are umpteen choices in cans and pouches out there of others with basil, lemon, chilli or jalapeno flavours in just a little oil if you prefer them.
The recipe makes a regular serving and about 2 WLS ones but this will very much depend upon your stage out of surgery, appetite and tolerance – this is just a guideline.
This is a well-balanced, high-protein meal – you may wish to add a yogurt (for additional protein) or piece of fruit for dessert or a snack if liked.
NEW POTATO, ROASTED PEPPER AND TUNA SALAD LUNCHBOX
250 g/8 oz baby new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
3 tbsp low-fat or fat-free vinaigrette dressing (I used
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1½ tsp capers, drained and rinsed
2 roasted red peppers (canned or jarred if liked), cut into strips
about 2 handfuls of crispy baby salad leaves
200 g/7 oz can tuna in spring water, drained and flaked
- Place the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the dressing with the mustard and capers.
- Drain the potatoes, add the dressing and toss well while still hot. Leave to cool.
- Prepare the lunchboxes by layering the potatoes and their dressing with the peppers, salad laves and flaked tuna. Cover and chill until required or to transport.
- Toss the ingredients lightly together just before eating.
WLS PORTION: ½
CALORIES PER PORTION: 194
PROTEIN: 19 g
CARBOHYDRATE: 26.2 g
FAT: 1.3 g
Image courtesy of http://www.waitrose.com