Roast chicken is a staple of the WLS dietary regime but it has its problems. Firstly, it can be a little tough and indigestible unless cooked super-tender. Secondly, a whole bird takes time to cook and when you have a meal to cook and little time it can categorise itself off-limits. Thirdly, it needs accompaniments, which also takes time and effort to prepare.
Well we think we have the answer in this dish to all 3 dilemmas.
Here we have a one-pot dish (no extras needed); a succulent and tender chicken thigh dish that is pouch-friendly; and an easily-portioned meal that can on the table in comfortably under 1 hour. As a bonus the leftovers can be chilled and reheated with confidence or frozen for eating on a time-strapped day.
We have used chicken thighs because we find the meat cooks very tender for bariatric patients but you can use part-boned breasts or drumsticks if you prefer – look for a deal. We have also left the skin intact for cooking – remove if you prefer or remove and discard for eating if you wish to keep the dish lower in fat.
Those who want more of a winter mix (and not overly concerned about carbs) can also roast potatoes (white or sweet) and other root vegetables like parsnips, carrots, turnips or celeriac around the chicken. Cut them into even-sized chunks and par-boil them first for about 5 minutes then drain well before using so that they cook in the same time as the chicken.
ONE-PAN ROASTED CHICKEN WITH MEDITERRANEAN VEGETABLES
1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
1 courgette/zucchini, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 yellow pepper/capsicum, cored, seeded and cut into chunks
1 red pepper/capsicum, cored, seeded and cut into chunks
1 aubergine/eggplant, cut into chunks
low-fat cooking spray or mist
8 chicken thighs
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
3 tbsp soy sauce (I used Kikkoman Less Salt soy sauce)
200 ml/¾ cup chicken stock/bouillon
4 tbsp low-fat and low-sugar tomato pasta sauce or passata/crushed tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/gas mark 4.
- Place the onion, courgette/zucchini, peppers/capsicums and aubergine/eggplant in a large non-stick roasting pan. Liberally spritz with low-fat cooking oil or spray to coat on all sides.
- Tuck the chicken thighs between the vegetables and sprinkle with the thyme. Roast for 30 minutes, turning the occasionally so that they cook evenly.
- Mix the soy sauce, chicken stock/bouillon and sauce or passata/crushed tomatoes together and pour into the pan over the vegetables and around the chicken pieces.
- Return to the oven for a further 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
WLS PORTION: ½
CALORIES PER PORTION: 403
Recipe adapted from and image courtesy of Kikkoman