It is quite understandable to flounder midst all the chocolate this Easter! But not if you make a sugar-free dessert that you can enjoy too. Here’s a super citrus Lemon Ricotta Cake that’s so easy to make and perfect topped with some luscious berry fruits. Here it’s topped with strawberries but let your imagination run wild with other berries or a combination of them all. Oh and Happy Easter!
LEMON RICOTTA DESSERT CAKE
150 g/scant ¾ cup butter
150 g/¾ cup granulated sweetener (I used Natvia – quantities may change if you use a different brand)
3 eggs, separated
225 g/1 cup ricotta
3 tbsp/¼ cup lemon juice
grated zest of 1 lemon
75 g self-raising flour/¾ cup all-purpose flour sifted with ¾ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
fresh berries to decorate and serve
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C/325 F/gas 3. Grease a 18-cm/7-inch cake tin/cake pan with butter and sprinkle with the flour to coat the base and sides.
2. Beat the butter with the sweetener until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, ricotta, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix well to combine.
3. Fold in the flour and salt and mix until well incorporated.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff then gently fold into the cake batter with a metal spoon. Transfer to the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean of mixture.
5. Allow to cool, then remove from the tin and transfer to a serving plate.
6. Top with berries to serve. Offer a little low-fat cream, creme fraiche or yogurt as an accompaniment if liked.
WLS PORTION: ½
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION: 239
PROTEIN: 6.5 g
CARBOHYDRATE: 8 g
FAT: 20.3 g
Image courtesy of Natvia