It’s been hard to keep up with the Team GB gold medal tally and I have found it very difficult to tear myself away from the 12 hour daily coverage! However, I did think a little celebration was in order to salute those athletes who have worked so hard to bring us such entertainment and inspiration. So I headed to the kitchen and came up with what looks like an indulgent finale…you might want to consider it for the closing ceremony. It’s low-fat, low-sugar and low-calorie…so there’s a medal winning combination! I used my Olympic Torch decorations as the golden touch….but fruit will do just as well! The ‘rush’ try to try it at Bariatric Cookery was record-breaking!
GOLD RUSH CHEESECAKE
low-fat cooking spray
175 g/6 oz light or reduced-fat digestive biscuits/light or reduced-fat graham crackers, crushed
75 g/6 tbsp low-fat spread or reduced fat butter, melted
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 x 23g/1 oz packets sugar-free orange jelly/jello crystals
500 g/generous 1 lb virtually fat-free Quark
200 g/7 oz fat-free thick Greek yogurt
grated zest of 1 orange
1 large ripe nectarine, chopped
reduced-fat whipped cream to decorate and serve (optional)
1. Generously spritz the base and sides of an 20 cm/8 inch shallow spring-form pan or loose-bottomed cake tin/pan with low-fat cooking spray.
2. To make the base, mix the digestive biscuit/graham crackers crumbs with the melted low-fat spread and ground ginger. Spoon into the prepared tin/pan and press down firmly to make a smooth and even base. Chill to set, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to make the topping, dissolve the jelly/jello crystals in 300 ml/11/4 cups boiling water and allow to cool unti hand hot.
4. Beat the Quark with the yogurt until smooth. Gradually add the dissolved and cooled jelly/jello, orange rind and finally fold in the chopped nectarine. Pour over the prepared base and chill to set, about 2 hours.
5. To serve, release the cheesecake from the tin/pan and transfer to a serving plate. Top with swirls of whipped reduced fat cream and chopped fresh fruit if liked. Cut into wedges to serve.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-1
* Suitable for Freezing
V suitable for vegetarians
CALORIES PER SERVING: 199.5
Image copyright of Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd