I always wonder when I make a soup and enjoy it so much, that I don’t make it and others more often. This is so true of the soup you see above – it literally sings with flavour, stores well and is just the ticket now that the days have turned a mite chillier. It can also be ready in about half an hour.
Don’t be put off with the list of spices – it isn’t what you might call ‘spicy’ or ‘hot’ just has a depth of flavour that you won’t get without using them. For something concocted from lentils, onion, spices, tomatoes and coconut milk it’s flavour is much greater than the sum of it’s parts – in other words, simply divine!
Do try it, you won’t be disappointed. I have served here with a slice of my protein bread (recipe here) but it’s filling enough without.
GLOWING LENTIL SOUP
low-fat cooking spray or mist
2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp ground cardamon
1½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground cinnamon
400 g/15 oz can chopped tomatoes
400 g/15 oz can reduced-fat coconut milk
140 g/¾ cup orange lentils
900 ml/3¾ cups vegetable stock/bouillon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Spritz a large pan with the low-fat cooking spray or mist and heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook over a low heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, cardamon, cumin and cinnamon and mix well. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juice, coconut milk, lentils, stock/bouillon and salt and pepper to taste, mixing well. Bring to a low boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20-25 minutes until the lentils are cooked and tender and the soup has thickened.
- Check and adjust the seasoning and serve hot or warm with protein bread if liked.
WLS PORTION: ½
CALORIES PER PORTION: 192
Image copyright © Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd