Thinking of making pancakes on Tuesday for Shrove Tuesday (now sometimes called ‘Fat Tuesday’)? I know I will. However, I have had to adapt my old recipe to my new eating regime…which means sugar is out (replacing with Splenda) and oil for this too (so replacing with Frylight sunflower oil spray). This means I get a low-fat, lower sugar alternative that I can enjoy with the whole family…and they don’t even notice the difference!
Funnily enough using Frylight means I don’t get a greasy, rubbery or heavy pancake; and using Splenda to add a hint of sweetness means I don’t yearn for the sugar and lemon favourite topping of the past.
This recipe makes 4 large pancakes or 8 smaller ones (wls patients will probably only manage half of a large one so my instructions are for the smaller variety so that you can enjoy a whole one) and is made with wholemeal flour (so much better for fibre). The fruity filling is gorgeous but can be replaced with any other fruit combination that appeals. I have even just used o% Greek yogurt with a few fresh raspberries and been indulgently satisfied!
WHOLEMEAL PANCAKES WITH WINTER FRUITS
110g wholemeal flour/1 cup whole meal flour
pinch of salt
1 large egg, beaten
300 ml/11/4 cups skimmed milk
1 tsp Splenda granulated sweetener
Fry Light low-fat sunflower oil spray for cooking
250 ml/generous 1 cup unsweetened orange juice
25g/2 tbsp chopped ready-to-eat dried apricots
25g/2 tbsp raisins
pinch of ground mixed spice
1 apple, cored and sliced
2 plums, stoned and sliced
2 tsp cornflour/cornstarch
1 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
1. To make the pancakes, place the flour and salt in a bowl with the egg, milk and sweetener. Beat together with a whisk to make a smooth pancake batter.
2. To make the filling, peel the strips of zest from the orange with a potato peeler. Reserve 3 tbsp/1/4 cup of the orange juice, pour the rest into a pan, add the strips of zest, the apricots, raisins and mixed spice. Simmer gently for 15 minutes to plump up the fruit. Remove and discard the orange zest. Meanwhile, remove the pith from the orange and cut the flesh into segments.
3. Add the orange segments to the pan with the apple and plums. Mix the cornflour/cornstarch with the reserved orange juice and add to the pan. Heat gently, stirring until thickened and smooth. Stir in the Splenda and keep warm over a very low heat whilst cooking the pancakes.
4. Using a nonstick 18-cm/7-inch frying pan, spray with a sweeping action for even coverage, 2 sprays of the Frylight low-fat sunflower oil spray. Place the pan over a medium high heat until hot, then pour in about 2 tbsp/3tbsp of the batter into the pan. Tilt the pan to make sure the batter covers the whole base of the pan evenly. Cook over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes until the liquid batter has completely set and is golden brown. Turn and cook the other side for about 30 seconds until golden. Repeat, using all the batter, to make 8 pancakes.
5. Place on warmed serving plates, add the fruit filling, fold and serve at once.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
V Suitable for vegetarians
Image courtesy of Splenda Low-calorie Sweetener
Advice also from Frylight