It’s that time again – 4th July – when all my US friends and followers, take to their gardens, yards and porches or tables for a celebratory meal or two. Whether you’re planning a barbecue, picnic or pick and mix buffet style meal we have some great recipes that are bariatric-friendly. Take a look in the recipe section or choose from a few favourites below. And then finally we have a special new dessert to round off the meal – check out our Stars and Stripes Slice recipe below. In Cheesecake We Trust – All salute the US flag!
Home-Made Chicken Burgers with Avocado Mayonnaise – recipe here
Lamb and Beetroot Burgers – recipe here
Medal Winning Coleslaw with Creamy Ranch Style Dressing – recipe here
Bariatric Barbecue Sauce – recipe here
STARS AND STRIPES CHEESECAKE SLICE
low-fat cooking spray or mist
175g/6oz light or reduced fat digestive biscuits/light or reduced-fat graham crackers, crushed
75g/6 tbsp low-fat spread or light butter, melted
2 x 23g packets sugar-free raspberry or strawberry jelly crystals/2 x 0.3 oz packets low calorie jello crystals
500g/generous 1 lb virtually fat-free Quark or fat-free soft cheese
200g/7 oz fat-free thick Greek yogurt
handful of raspberries, sliced strawberries or blueberries (optional)
red and blue berries to decorate (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries or cherries for example)
1. Generously spritz the base and sides of a loaf-shaped spring form pan or 20 cm/8 inch shallow round spring-form pan with low-fat cooking spray or mist.
2. To make the base, mix the digestive biscuit/graham cracker crumbs with the melted spread or butter until the crumbs are well coated. Spoon into the prepared pan and press down firmly to make a smooth and even base. This is easiest done with the back of a metal spoon. Chill to set, about 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, to make the topping, dissolve the jelly/jello crystals in 300 ml/11/4 cups boiling water and allow to cool until hand hot.
4. Beat the Quark or soft cheese with the yogurt until smooth. Gradually add the dissolved jelly/jello and then fold in the handful of berries if liked. Pour over the prepared base and chill to set, about 2 hours.
5. To serve, release the cheesecake from the pan and transfer to a serving plate. Top with red and blue berries (as an American flag decoration). Chill until required. Cut into slices to serve.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-1
* suitable for freezing
CALORIES PER SERVING: 195
Image copyright of Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd