These days my most favourite picnic or packed lunch food dish is a frittata – I prefer it to a sandwich, salad or wrap. This one, made with seasonal broad/fava beans, mint and halloumi cheese is a new favourite and may well prove popular for those who avoid meat for whatever reason.
You can use fresh broad/fava beans which are now in season or frozen ones.
And of course you can always change the bean choice and use another and likewise the same with cheese – I like goat’s cheese with chives too.
BROAD/FAVA BEAN, HALLOUMI AND MINT FRITTATA
250 g/8 oz light halloumi cheese
300 g/2½ cups shelled baby broad/fava beans
6 large eggs
large handful coarsely chopped fresh mint
salt and freshly ground black pepper
low fat cooking spray or mist
- Slice half of the halloumi and crumble the rest.
- Blanch the broad/fava beans in boiling water for a few minutes until tender. Drain well.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl then stir in the beans, crumbled halloumi, mint and salt and pepper to taste.
- Liberally spritz a non-stick frying pan (with a handle that is suitable for going under a grill/broiler) then heat until moderately hot. Pour in the egg mixture and cook for 4-5 minutes, until the base of the frittata is cooked through. Preheat a grill/broiler to high.
- Arrange the slices of halloumi on top of the frittata and place under the grill/broiler and cook until the top is golden and the egg mixture has cooked.
- Serve warm or cold cut into wedges.
WLS PORTION: ½
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION: 242
PROTEIN: 22.2 g
CARBOHYDRATE: 6.3 g (1.5 g sugars)
FAT: 14.2 g
Image courtesy of http://www.ocado.com