Eggs are my go-to food for much of the day. I love them at breakfast time (scrambled or baked); fall back on them for a packed lunch (often as a salad mixture); frequently dine on them for a main meal (as a frittata or omelette); and are my fail-safe snack when hunger genuinely strikes. They have a great amount of protein and other nutrition, are inexpensive and lend themselves to so many delicious ways of cooking. They are also perfect for entertaining occasions – when you’re invited to bring along a dish for a buffet spread; have people around and need to feed them something other than crisps/chips and pretzels (that you can enjoy too); and make great TV or game night food rather than the usual culprits of pizza, chips and candy.
I have flirted with many variations some plain and some fancy (see here) but this is a favourite combination at the moment. It’s a tad more luxurious
than the usual egg, mayo and herb or spice combo but all the better for that, and perfect to serve this Easter when ALL THINGS ARE EGGS!
AVOCADO AND BACON DEVILLED EGGS
6 large hard-boiled/hard-cooked eggs, peeled
3 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp finely chopped chives or spring onion/scallion
1 small avocado, mashed roughly with a fork
3 rashers/slices lean cooked bacon, crumbled (I used bacon medallions)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the eggs in half lengthways and scoop out the yolks into a small bowl, reserving the egg white halves.
- Add the mayonnaise, mustard, half of the chives or spring onion/scallion, avocado, most of the bacon and salt and pepper to taste, mixing well.
- Spoon equally into the hollows of the egg whites and place on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with the remaining chives or spring onions/scallions and bacon.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
MAKES 12 HALVES
CALORIES PER EGG HALF: 75