I am frequently asked for a lunchbox recipe that will travel well. Here is one that fits the bill and makes a welcome change from the usual wrap, salad or deli fare. This version is meat-free but you could add a little sliced chicken for extra protein.
Egg Noodle Slice
65g nest fine Chinese egg noodles
1 tbsp vegetable oil
360g tray stir-fry vegetables
4 spring onions, sliced
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp grated ginger (optional)
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
6 large eggs
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the noodles in a bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to soak for 5 minutes. Stir well with a fork before draining.
2. Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Add the stir-fry vegetables, onions, garlic and ginger if used. Stir-fry for 3 minutes until softened. Stir in the noodles and soy sauce. Preheat the grill to hot.
3. Beat the eggs with salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the vegetable mixture and shake to level the surface. Cook over a medium heat for 4 minutes, or until the base has set.
4. Place the pan under a hot grill and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the top if golden brown. Leave to cool.
5. Serve warm or cold, cut into wedges. Alternatively, chill well then pack for a lunchbox meal.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-3/4
V suitable for vegetarians
Image courtesy of British Lion Eggs