Perhaps I have had too many soft and sweetish pancakes this week because today I definitely have a craving for something with a crunch and some deep savoury and fiery flavour!
This beef stir-fry has hit the spot with its complex soy, ginger, chilli and oyster sauce flavouring. I have used beef but you could use chicken or pork if preferred. I used fresh shiitake mushrooms but you could easily use any other type or even a frozen mixed medley of exotic ones. You can also reduce the heat by halving or omitting altogether the chillies – your call.
The key to this recipe is in marinating the beef a little ahead and also having everything prepared ready to cook so that you can add as directed and then serve while the vegetables are still crunchy but tender and brightly coloured.
You can serve with rice, noodles or spiralised vegetable/mock noodles if liked.
FIERY BEEF AND BROCCOLI STIR-FRY
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp grated root ginger or Lazy Ginger
350 g/12 oz beef frying steak, cut into 1 cm/scant ½ inch strips
low-fat cooking spray with sesame oil or mist
1 red onion, thickly sliced
225 g/8 oz tenderstem broccoli, halved lengthways then cut into 5 cm/2 inch lengths
150 g/5 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced or ½ x 300 g/11 oz pack frozen exotic mushroom medley
2 red chillies, thinly sliced (optional – see intro)
4 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
4 salad onions/scallions, shredded
- Mix the soy sauce, ginger and steak in a bowl, cover and leave to marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- Spritz a non-stick wok or deep sauté pan with the low-fat spray or mist. Heat, add the steak mixture and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes until nicely browned and cooked through. Transfer to a clean bowl with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion, broccoli, mushrooms and chilli, if used, to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until tender. Spritz with a little more spray or add a little water if necessary to prevent burning.
- Return the steak and any resting juices and stir in the oyster sauce and rice vinegar. Cook for 1-2 minutes until piping hot.
- Scatter over the spring onions/scallions and serve at once.
WLS PORTION: ½
CALORIES PER PORTION: 170
Image courtesy of waitrose.com