This is a real treat of a pudding….reminiscent of bread and butter pudding but without all the fat and sugar you’d normally expect. Instead of the traditional sultanas I have used dried cherries but the choice is yours. Serve with low-fat and low-sugar custard (there is a recipe in the Amber section should you need it). Or allow to go cold and slice thickly to serve like a bread pudding. For special occasions or when you’re not too concerned about the slightly higher fat content, replace the fromage frais with a 50/50 mixture of half fat creme fraiche and fat-free Greek yogurt.
CHUNKY BREAD AND DRIED CHERRY PUDDING
4 x 60 g/2 oz soft wholemeal bread rolls
50g/1/3 cup dried cherries
6 medium eggs
1 tsp ground mixed spice
3 tbsp/4 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
500g/1 lb 2oz low-fat natural fromage frais (or see alternative above)
low-fat and low-sugar custard to serve (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/gas mark 4.
2. Cut the bread rolls into bite-sized cubes and place in a bowl. Add the cherries.
3. Beat the eggs with the spice and Splenda. Add the fromage frais and mix well to combine. Add to the bread cubes and toss well to coat.
4. Spoon into a medium baking dish and stand in a roasting tin. Pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the custard mixture has set and the top is lightly browned. Check by inserting a knife into the centre, it is cooked if it comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving, with custard if liked. Alternatively, allow to cool and serve thickly sliced.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
V suitable for vegetarians
Calories per portion and for alternative: 228/278
Image copyright of Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd