Nothing signals Springtime eating or Easter fare more than the first of the Jersey Royal potato harvest. The very best of new potatoes, they might be a bit pricy at first, but they are the potatoes that signal and symbolise the end of the dark winter days with a taste that is Spring on the plate. For flavour and texture they are, for me, unsurpassable.
Here they have been combined with just a little bacon (you could use lower-fat turkey rashers if preferred) and topped with a roasted thick cod fillet, although you could use another fish like salmon, pollock or tuna…your call. Sea bass makes a special meal of this recipe.
The dressing is also your choice…I tend to always use a fat-free version, sometimes one of the low-fat spray versions. If you want to make your own low-fat spray version then mix 36 sprays low-fat oil spray with 2 tbsp sherry vinegar, 2 tsp clear honey, 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard and salt and pepper to taste for this dish…although the balsamic ready-made version is great.
BACON CRUSHED JERSEY ROYALS SERVED WITH ROAST COD
4 x 140g/5 oz portions thick-cut cold fillets
low-fat cooking spray
300g/11 oz Jersey Royal potatoes
300 ml/11/4 cups hot vegetable stock/bouillon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 rashers extra-lean unsmoked bacon, chopped
4 tbsp fat-free salad dressing
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/gas mark 4.
2. Spritz a non-stick frying an with low-fat cooking spray, add the cod and fry, skin-side down over a moderate heat for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes, or until completely cooked through and keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a pan with the stock/bouillon. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Drain, then return the potatoes to the pan and lightly crush.
4. At the same time, fry the bacon (with a little low-fat cooking spray if liked) until crispy. Remove about 3 tbsp of the bacon then add the remainder to the crushed potatoes with any juices and salt and pepper to taste.
5. To serve, divide the crushed potatoes and bacon between 4 warmed plates. Top with the cooked cod and reserved bacon and pour over the salad dressing. Serve hot.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
CALORIES PER PORTION: 230
Image courtesy of Jersey Royals