We haven’t dispensed with salads even though summer in the UK is well and truly over. This autumnal salad brings together the earthy flavours of roast veggies, crunchy hazelnuts and fresh herbs. With a spicy heat and the fresh zing of lime and yogurt this is an ideal salad dish for cooler days.
CUMIN ROASTED BEETROOT, PUMPKIN AND CARROT WITH HERB SALAD
800 g/1¾ lb pumpkin or butternut squash
4 raw beetroot/beets
low-fat cooking spray or mist
2 tsp cumin seeds
pinch dried chilli flakes
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp roughly chopped hazelnuts
120 g/4 oz bag herb salad
200 g/7 oz fat-free Greek yogurt
grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas 6.
- Peel the pumpkin, beetroot/beets and carrots and chop into bite-sized chunks. Lay in a single layer on a large baking tray and spritz generously with lot-fat coking spray or mist. Sprinkle with the cumin seeds and chill flakes and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 30 minutes until the vegetables are softened and charred.
- Meanwhile toast the nuts in a dry frying pan if liked and set aside.
- Once the vegetables are cooked place the salad leaves on a large serving plate and spoon the cooked veggies over the top, then scatter over the hazelnuts.
- Mix the yogurt with the lime zest and spoon in ‘dollops’ over the vegetables. Finally drizzle with the lime juice and season with a little more salt and pepper to serve.
SERVES 4 (AS A LIGHT MEAL)
WLS PORTION: ½-1
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION: 175
Image courtesy of www.makemoreofsalad.com