Sundays are when I usually cook something that can be used in a lunchbox, provide a quick breakfast for a weekday, or make a meal for when time is short or I don’t care to cook. Frittatas are perfect for this scenario – they can be made ahead and then sliced to fill a lunch box; reheat very quickly and conveniently at the start of the day; and are great to serve for lunch or supper with just a side dish of say sliced tomatoes for example..
I am making this one today because I have all the ingredients to hand which most homes do – some eggs, frozen peas, broccoli (but substitute with another green veg if preferred), and cheese. I shall also serve with a little reduced-fat creme fraiche or yogurt flavoured with some paprika for drizzling over.
It’s easy to make, wonderfully healthy and has lots of protein – I recommend it to you.
PEA, BROCCOLI AND CHEESE FRITTATA
low-fat cooking spray or mist
225 g/8 oz Tenderstem broccoli, half finely chopped, half broken into florets
2 cloves garlic, crushed
250 g/1¾ cups frozen peas
50 g/½ cup grated reduced-fat hard cheese (I used Cheddar)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
baby salad leaves to garnish (optional)
- Generously spritz a 22-cm/8½-inch frying pan with low-fat cooking spray or mist. Heat, add the broccoli and stir-fry for 5 minutes, adding a little water to prevent scorching if necessary. Add the garlic and peas and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Preheat the grill/broiler to high.
- Beat the eggs with the cheese and salt and pepper to taste in a jug. Pour into the pan over the vegetables and stir until well combined.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook, without stirring, for 5 minutes or until the frittata starts to brown on the base. Transfer to the grill/broiler and cook for 3-5 minutes, until cooked all the way through and no longer runny (but not hard and rubbery).
- Allow to cool slightly if serving warm, cut into slices garnished with salad leaves if liked. To serve and store cold, allow to cool, slice into wedges for convenience if liked, and wrap in baking paper, then chill until required.
WLS PORTION: ½
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION: 256
PROTEIN: 23.6 g
CARBOHYDRATE: 7.4 g (sugars 4.8 g)
FAT: 13.8 g
Image courtesy of Tesco