It’s blowing up a storm out there today – wet, windy and many places have snow. It brought to mind many a Yorkshire wintry morning (and afternoon) from my childhood when we would trudge to school and back in conditions like this, and the treat before we left (or on our return home) was a warm scone/biscuit. Sometimes they were savoury and often sweet. Always served with butter, frequently with jam/jelly and occasionally with cheese. With such reminiscences and memories I decided to roll up my sleeves and try to come up with something similar but more WLS friendly.
These little beauties are the result. I am told by my US friends that they are similar to the warm basket of biscuits that are brought to the table at some fast-food restaurants until you beg them to stop – they are so moreish! Ours are just as good and one will suffice for a small pouch …
Below is the savoury version (we’ll make the sweet another time) which is cheesy with a hint of herbs, garlic and pepper. You could add a little mustard if you are so inclined.
The secret to making them more wls-friendly is in using cauliflower rice (buy ready made in sachets or see how to make here) in place of some of the flour; using yogurt in place of some of the butter and milk; and using a low-fat strong hard cheese for flavour with just a modest amount.
You don’t have to stamp out the scones/biscuits with a fancy cutter (we used an apple one that we had – we would!), you can form into small rounds free-style with your hands. They will keep for several days (if they last that long) and are great if warmed just before serving but equally welcome cold in a packed lunch box (we love them with a slice of ham).
100 g/1 cup prepared cauliflower rice (we used ready-made Cauli Rice but if you wish to make your own see here), cooked and very well-drained
100 g/1 cup plain wholewheat or wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
¼ tsp salt
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of ground paprika
50 g/½ cup grated strong-flavoured hard cheese (we used low-fat strong Cheddar)
175 g/¾ cup fat-free Greek yogurt (we used 0% Fage)
½ tsp lazy garlic or ½ clove crushed garlic
1 tbsp soft butter
- Preheat the oven to 230 C/450 F/gas mark 8. Line a large baking tray with non-stick parchment, bake-o-glide or spritz with low-fat cooking spray/mist.
- Mix the cauli rice with the flour, baking powder, herbs, salt, cayenne, paprika and cheese in a bowl.
- Mix the yogurt with the garlic and butter and add to the cheese mixture and thoroughly combine to make a dough.
- Either roll out on a lightly floured surface and stamp out about 9 rounds or shapes (re-rolling as necessary) or divide and shape with your hands into 9 rounds and place on the tray, even;y spaced.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden, risen and cooked through.
- Serve warm or cool to store.
WLS PORTION: 1
V suitable for Vegetarians
* suitable for Freezing
CALORIES PER SCONE/BISCUIT: 78
Image copyright of Bariatric Cookery (UK) Ltd