We’ve given you lots of ideas for celebrating Bonfire Night over the last 6 years (see some in the boxes at the end of this feature) and here is another one. This one also makes the most of British Sausage Week currently being enjoyed. It’s a sweet, savoury and totally irresistible quick oven-baked dish
that is superb with mash (sweet or ordinary), jacket potatoes or spooned into rolls for hand-held eating.
We’re picky about our sausages and are lucky enough to have a few good local butchers who make their own and we know the quality is great and the meat lean enough for our bariatric needs but not dry and hard to digest or tolerate. We also like the HECK brand for the same reason and they can now be found in most supermarkets as well as on-line.
We also love the Heck Dog touring the country at the moment – one of the family – doesn’t he look grand in his own personal sidecar?
We’ve also tried adding a couple of tablespoons of flaked almonds to this recipe when adding the tomatoes and they do add some further protein and crunch – your choice whether you add them or not.
*WHIZZ BANG* HONEY AND SOY GLAZED SAUSAGES WITH SHALLOTS
10 good quality chipolata or 8 regular sausages (we used a 1 x 340g pack Heck Italia Chipolata sausages)
16 shallots, about 500 g/1 lb, peeled
low-fat cooking spray or mist
3 tbsp runny honey (or your favourite honey substitute – we have tried with Sweet Freedom and it works well)
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp flaked almonds (optional)
200 g/7 oz cherry tomatoes on the vine
1 x 85 g/3 oz bag prepared watercress sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas 6.
- Place the sausages and shallots in a roasting tin/pan and spritz generously with low-fat cooking spray or mist. Cook in the oven for 10 minutes, turn the sausages and shallots and then drizzle with the honey and soy sauce.
- Continue to cook for a further 10 minutes, turn the sausages and shallots in the sauce, then sprinkle over the almonds if used, and add the cherry tomatoes.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes or until the sausages and shallots are sticky with sauce and the almonds are lightly golden.
- Scatter with watercress and serve as suggested above.
WLS PORTION: ½
V suitable for Vegetarians if you use vegetarian sausages
CALORIES PER PORTION (using Heck sausages, honey and no almonds): 185
PROTEIN: 19.9 g
CARBOHYDRATE: 19.7 g
FAT: 2.6 g
Image courtesy of UK Shallots