I am as guilty as anyone for assuming that a Christmas roast turkey recipe has to be for a minimum of 4 people – not so! There will be a few this Christmas who are sitting down to the table with just a partner, friend or even alone (very sad, and I encourage everyone to set another place at their table and spread the cheer).
So here is a recipe for a prune, sausage meat and sage stuffed roast turkey dish that is every bit as good as the big bird one. For lone diners and bariatrics it offers
leftovers for Boxing Day or beyond. The thrifty might also consider this for a meal on the run-up to the main event since there are bargains to be had in most of the butchers and stores I have shopped in during the last week. It also would prove fortuitous for those who love turkey but have been told they’re having goose or another alternative on Christmas Day.
PRUNE, SAUSAGE AND SAGE STUFFED TURKEY BREAST STEAKS
50 g/2 oz good quality sausage meat
50 g/2 oz California prunes, chopped
2 fresh sage leaves, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 turkey breast steaks
low-fat cooking spray or mist
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6.
- Mix the sausage meat with the prunes, sage and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lay the turkey breasts out flat on a board then divide the sausage meat mixture in half and place each portion on top of each breast, flattening slightly. Roll each up tightly and secure with a wooden cocktail stick or skewer. Place, joined side down in a roasting pan.
- Season again with salt and pepper and spritz lightly with low-fat cooking spray or mist. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until the turkey is cooked through and golden. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard the wooden sticks or skewers and slice to serve. Delicious with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
CALORIES PER PORTION: 190
Image courtesy of California Prunes UK www.californiaprunes.co.uk with adapted recipe from Rosemary Shrager