As the weekend approaches I often think about baking a treat for family and visitors – and I like to make something that I can eat too! This is a tea loaf that is great for everyone and has a moist texture as well as dense chocolate flavour that really hits the spot. You could if you feel so inclined drizzle a little extra chocolate on top but it doesn’t need it.
The wonderfully moist texture comes from the grated courgette/zucchini (don’t worry you can’t see it when the loaf is baked). It’s a sweet treat that keeps fabulously well in an airtight tin for up to 5 days (if it lasts that long!) but also freezes well too – I cut mine into slices to freeze for up to 3 months.
MOIST CHOCOLATE TEA LOAF
low-fat cooking spray or mist
100 g/4 oz low-fat spread (I used Flora Light)
10 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
100 g plain wholemeal flour/1 cup all-purpose wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
150 g/11/2 cups ground almonds
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
200 g/7 oz finely grated courgette/zucchini
85 g/31/2 oz no-sugar-added plain chocolate, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/gas mark 4. Spritz the base and sides of a 900 g/2 lb non-stick loaf tin/pan with low-fat spray or mist and line the base with baking parchment.
2. Beat the low-fat spread with the sweetener until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, 4 tbsp of the flour and the baking powder and beat well to combine.
4. Add the ground almonds, cocoa powder, remaining flour and mix well. Finally fold in the courgette/zucchini and melted chocolate and mix well to combine.
5. Spoon into the preparedtin/pan and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes until well-risen and cooked. Test by inserting a skewer – if it comes out clean of mixture then it is cooked. Cool in the tin for 15 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely. Serve thinly sliced.
MAKES: 16 slices
WLS PORTION: 1/2-1 slice
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER SLICE: 143