I’m always looking for recipes that are multi-purpose for use. Something that serves as a great main meal but then can be used in the lunch box or re-purposed for a meal the following day without becoming boring. Frittata is one such dish because it is wonderful hot from the pan just plain or with a seasonal vegetable side but just as delicious cold with salad and pickles. Here is one such frittata I made yesterday using
some leftover new potatoes, a few cherry tomatoes and a pack of ready-made meatballs. I could have made my own with extra lean minced/ground beef, pork or lamb but there are a vast number of great ready-made options that lighten the load when pushed for time. It’s half-term holidays here in the UK at the moment and most bariatric mums prefer to be out of doors with their youngsters rather than rolling meatballs in the kitchen!
I tested the recipe with Scan Swedish Meatballs (delicious) and also with the new Slimming World ones from Iceland (also fabulous and lower in fat if you need to keep it in check). If you plan to make your own then you’ll need about 350 g/12 oz minced/ground meat with a little chopped onion and plenty of seasonings. I feel certain you could also use Quorn meatballs for a vegetarian option too.
We shall be packing some of our leftover frittata into our bariatric bento boxes for a meal on the move – our first proper picnic of the year!
200 g/7 oz new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks
75 g/3 oz frozen peas
low-fat cooking spray or mist
1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
about 350 g ready-prepared meatballs (defrosted if frozen)
1 clove garlic, crushed
6 medium eggs, lightly beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper
75 g/3 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
50 g/1/2 cup grated half-fat grated cheese
rocket leaves to serve (optional)
1. Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 6 minutes. Add the peas, bring back to the boil and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain well.
2. Preheat the grill/broiler to hot. Generously spritz a large non-stick frying or saute pan with low-fat spray or mist. Heat, add the onion and cook for 5-8 minutes until softened.
3. Add the meatballs and cook for 5-15 minutes (depending upon type), stirring occasionally until cooked and no longer pink if using raw meat type. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the potatoes and peas and mix well.
4. Mix the eggs with seasoning to taste and pour over the meatball mixture. Scatter over the tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes to set the bottom of the frittata.
5. Scatter over the cheese and grill/broil for 2-3 minutes until golden and set. Serve warm or cold with rocket leaves strewn over if liked.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-1
CALORIES PER PORTION (using low-fat meatballs): 235