I’m a bit of a late convert to halloumi cheese – yes I know I’ve featured it before but haven’t been wholly taken with its versatility until just recently. Now I can’t get enough of it – I love the ‘meaty’ texture of this cheese and dare I say its ‘squeaky’ mouth feel or bite (do you know what I mean?).
I’ve had it griddled and served on roasted vegetables and on skewers as part of a bbq but this is my latest love – serving it as a filling for a crispy and crunchy wrap. This is seriously delicious food best served alfresco if you can but equally good when pulled from the lunch box. When watching the carbs I do without the wrap or flat bread and simply roll up in the lettuce leaves alone – the dressing however is a must!
LOVE THE CRUNCH HALLOUMI WRAPS
2 tbsp light sweet chilli sauce
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp olive oil
Salad and Filling:
250 g/9 oz light Halloumi cheese
1 Little Gem lettuce, leaves separated
2 sticks/stalks celery, sliced and leaves retained
4 spring onions/scallions, sliced
6 radishes, sliced
4 wraps or flatbreads of choice (we like wholemeal, low-carb options)
- To make the dressing, mix the chilli sauce with the lime juice and oil.
- Cut the halloumi cheese into 8 slices and toss in half of the dressing.
- Cook on a bbq, griddle or non-stick frying pan for 5 minutes, turning over halfway through the cooking time until crisp and browned on the outside.
- Meanwhile, mix the lettuce with the celery, spring onions/scallions and radishes. Add the remaining dressing and toss to coat.
- Divide the salad between the wraps or flatbreads, top each with 2 slices of the cooked halloumi and serve at once.
WLS PORTION: ½-1
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION: 255
Image courtesy of www.lovethecrunch.com