Wondering what this is?
Well, Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for fifth of May), is a celebration in the US and regionally in Mexico. It celebrates ‘The Day of the Battle of Puebla’ to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War …today observed mainly as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. It’s not Mexico’s Independence Day (on September 16th) but is generally celebrated just as enthusiastically!
And so today’s recipes have a Mexican theme. There’s a Mexican Beef Wrap with Radish and Avocado Salsa and an Easy Vegetable Chilli. One or other should suit the vagaries of our current weather extremes. Those enjoying some balmy warm weather could cook their steaks for the wraps on the barbecue alfresco; while those still feeling a chill in the air can succumb to a warming bowlful of vegetables and beans in a chilli based sauce straight from the hob.
MEXICAN BEEF WRAPS WITH RADISH AND AVOCADO SALSA
1 tsp ground cumin
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lean rib eye beef steak, weighing about 150g/5 oz
6 mixed radishes, quartered
1/2 avocado, peeled, stoned and cubed
small bunch of fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped
juice of 1/4 lime
2 wholemeal low-carb and low-fat tortilla wraps, warmed
1. Rub the cumin over each side of the steak and season to taste.
2. Heat a non-stick pan until very hot and sear the outside of the steak for 2 minutes on each side … this will give a rare steak (cook for longer if you prefer medium to well done). Alternatively cook on the barbecue to liking. Leave to rest on a warm plate while you prepare the radishes, avocado and coriander/cilantro.
3. Toss the radishes, avocado and coriander in the lime juice and seasoning to taste to make a salsa. Slice the steak into thin strips.
4. Lay the steak down the centre of the tortillas, top with the salsa, wrap up and serve at once.
WLS PORTION: 1/2
CALORIES PER PORTION: 251
Image courtesy of Love Radish www.loveradish.co.uk
EASY VEGETABLE CHILLI
low-fat cooking spray
1 onion, sliced
2 red peppers/capsicums, deseeded and cut into bite-sized chunks
1 tbsp mild chilli powder
1 large carrot, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
400g/14 oz can chopped tomatoes with garlic
200ml/generous 1 cup vegetable stock/bouillon
1 courgette/zucchini, cut into bite-sized chunks
400g/14 oz can kidney beans in chilli sauce
50g/2 oz fine green beans, trimmed and halved
1. Generously spritz a large non-stick pan with low-fat cooking spray and heat. Add the onion and cook, over a medium heat, for 5 minutes until softened.
2. Add the peppers/capsicums and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the chilli powder and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
3. Stir in the carrot and potatoes with the tomatoes and stock/bouillon and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
4. Add the courgette/zucchini and the kidney beans with their sauce and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
5. Finally add the green beans and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender, but still with a little bite. Serve hot with rice if liked.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-3/4
V suitable for vegetarians
* suitable for freezing
CALORIES PER PORTION: 150
Image courtesy of Waitrose where more than 6,000 recipes can be viewed at www.waitrose.com