One of my most popular recipe posts was for a mid-week, low-cost, vegetarian meal – an onion and potato tortilla, so it’s time for another! This one, made from a fridge raid that produced some leftover spring greens, 3 red-skinned potatoes and a pack of cherry vine tomatoes made a wonderful and tasty Swiss-style rosti. It makes a terrific side dish to chicken but also great lunch/brunch dish on its own if topped with a poached or dry-fried egg for some added protein. It makes a worthy appearance as a Bariatric Budget Buster (BBB) recipe. What’s more it can be on the table in next to no time!
If you want to try the Onion and Potato Tortilla below then find the recipe here
SPRING GREEN ROSTI
200 g/7 oz spring greens, shredded or sliced
400 g/14 oz cherry vine tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
low-fat olive oil spray or mist
3 medium red-skinned potatoes (or other type), about 500 g/1 lb, coarsely grated
4 spring onions/scallions, thinly sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil or parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6. Cook the spring greens in a pan of boiling water for 3-4 minutes until tender then drain well.
2. Meanwhile, place the tomatoes on a baking tray, scatter with the garlic and spritz generously with the olive oil spray or mist and roast for 15-20 minutes until softened but still holding their shape.
3. Mix the cooked greens with the potato, spring onions/scallions, cumin seeds, herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Generously spritz/8-inch non-stick frying or saute pan with low-fat spray or mist. Heat then add the cabbage mixture, pressing it down with a fish slice or spatula. Cook the cabbage rosti mixture gently for 10-15 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. To turn the rosti, invert onto a large plate then back into the pan to cook the other side.
5. Top the cooked rosti with the roasted tomatoes. Cut into wedges to serve.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-1
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION: 134
Rosti image courtesy of www.waitrose.com