Lots of people seemed to enjoy my posting on sweet potato toast (see here) which is good because this latest nutritional trend means you can have your old bread favourites in a new healthier fashion. Many are not just tinkering with it for breakfast but also having it for lunch or dinner. Here it’s
combined with a deliciously colourful and nutritious mix of spinach, tomatoes and onions with a poached egg for protein and a bit of an indulgence. Serve this for an elegant breakfast-for-dinner in record time!
‘DINNER IN A DASH’ SWEET POTATO TOAST
4 portions sweet potato toast (see here)
low-fat cooking spray or mist
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
120 g/4 cups baby spinach
10 cherry tomatoes, halved
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large eggs, poached
grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle (optional)
- Prepare the sweet potato toast (see here) then set aside.
- Spritz a large pan/skillet with low-fat spray or mist. Heat, add the onion and garlic if used and saute for 2 minutes until softened.
- Add the spinach and cherry tomatoes and cook until the spinach is wilted but not totally fallen. Season to taste then remove from the heat.
- Poach the eggs in the usual way until cooked.
- To serve, place the sweet potato toast on plates, top with the spinach mixture and finally a poached egg. Dust lightly with Parmesan cheese to serve if liked.
WLS PORTION: ½-1
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER PORTION (without Parmesan): 165
Feature courtesy of http://www.celebratevitamins.com