Cod Salsa with Greens on the Bariatric Portion Plate
I am frequently asked for a speedy (flash in the pan) type of recipe that is high in protein, low in carbs and fuss-free. This is one I turn to very often mid-week when there is barely time to look in the refrigerator, heat up the
oven and lay the table!
I use white fish fillets, sometimes cod, often haddock, occasionally hake and really whatever is in season, economical or good value. I’m often organised enough to have fresh fillets or frozen defrosted ones but if not then I defrost frozen fillets quickly in the microwave (but do not cooked them) although I am pretty sure you could cook from frozen. Usually they are ready by the time the oven has come up to temperature.
This recipe would work equally well with chicken fillets or thighs but will need more cooking time, likewise you can use turkey. The joy is in the versatility – I often use my own home-made salsa (see here and from my Return to Slender Cookery Book page 77) but you can for speed and convenience use a ready-made no-added sugar one.
Your choice of greens is also limitless – I have used Tenderstem broccoli and mangetout/snow peas but you can use green beans, Savoy cabbage, spinach, kale or basically whatever you fancy. Those looking for a little heartier dish might like to add a couple of new potatoes to their plate. Those preferring salad can forego the greens and enjoy salad on the side.
COD SALSA WITH GREENS
2 x 125 g/4-5 oz pieces skinless and boneless cod fillets or loins
low-fat cooking spray or mist
salt and freshly ground black pepper
about 200 g/1 cup tomato salsa (see intro above or use ready-prepared low-sugar option)
100 g/4 oz Tenderstem broccoli spears
100 g/4 oz mangetout/snow peas
1 tsp light butter
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/gas mark 6.
- Place the cod (or other selected fish) in a small roasting tin/pan that has been spritzed with low-fat cooking spray or mist. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and roast for 10 minutes.
- Spoon over the salsa (reserving a little to serve separately if liked) and cook for a further 5-10 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the broccoli and mangetout/snow peas in boiling water for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain, stir in the light butter with seasoning to taste.
- Serve the vegetables topped with the cod and with any remaining salsa served in a dish separately.
WLS PORTION: ½ -1
CALORIES PER PORTION: 205