I don’t often indulge in a cookie, biscuit or piece of cake but when I do it has to be top-notch, ideally home-made and as added-sugar-free as possible. Christmas time is the festive occasion when I make some special favourites that we enjoy year after year (and often only appear at this time of year). Biscotti are one these specials and I often make them with seasonal dried fruits and nuts and grated citrus rind. This year
I have made them with pistachios and dried cranberries. They look divinely expensive (they’re not), difficult to make (they’re easy peasy), and sublime and much appreciated when gift wrapped for a decadent edible gift that everyone would appreciate (but especially the WLS patient). They also store well in an airtight container so you should never be caught out without a treat or two should someone be calling …. like Santa? They’re what I call your get out claus!
CHRISTMAS CRANBERRY BISCOTTI
1 egg yolk
20 g/1 cup granulated sweetener (I used Splenda)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
50 g/1/4 cup butter
250 g/2 cups ground almonds/almond flour
75 g/3/4 cup plain/all-purpose flour
11/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
75 g/3/4 cup pistachio nuts
40 g/1/4 cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/gas mark 4.
- Place the egg, egg yolk, sweetener, vanilla and almond extract in a food processor and pulse to mix well.
- Mix the ground almonds/almond flour, plain/all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and mix well. Add to the egg mixture and pulse again to mix the ingredients so that they form a ball.
- Turn onto a work surface, add the pistachios and cranberries and work into the dough to evenly distribute. Divide in half and roll each piece into a log or roll measuring about 20 cm/8 inches by 5 cm/2 inches.
- Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for about 35 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Allow to cool completely.
- When cold, transfer to a chopping board and slice each log into about 12 pieces using a serrated knife and a sawing motion to get a clean and neat cut. If you try to cut when still warm they have a tendency to crumble.
- Return the slices to the baking sheet and bake again at 180 C/350 F/gas mark 4 for 12 minutes. Turn over and cook for a further 8 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Cool completely before storing.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-1
V suitable for Vegetarians
CALORIES PER BISCOTTI: 120