Every time I visit a Support Group I take along a tasting treat of a slice of bariatric-friendly cake. This is for two good reasons – the first is to get everyone in a relaxed frame of mind before I utter the harsher words relating to portion control, grazing and bad-habits: and the second is
to demonstrate that few foods are ‘off limits’ after WLS and that the dietary regime post-surgery can be very enjoyable and still include the occasional treat. Everyone loves this cake (save those who have a nut allergy) and I have been asked to produce it for selling (wish I could!).
It really is an easy cake to prepare, keeps well and slices thinly enough so that a skimpy slice can serve one bariatric post-op. In the version above I have added a sliced whole banana on the top and brushed lightly with a sweet freedom natural sugar-like glaze. My original in ‘Return to Slender … Second Helpings’ cookery book (see here) has neither but this does make it a little more appealing. The nutritional stats given here relate to the unadorned version.
It would make a great cake to hand out on Bonfire Night for those who enjoy a sweetish cake treat that isn’t the usual gingerbread.
low-fat cooking spray or mist
2 large ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs, beaten
11/2 tsp vanilla extract
9 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
115 g/generous 1 cup plain/all-purpose flour
115 g/generous 1 cup ground almonds
4 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
3 tbsp melted butter
75 g/3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 banana, sliced lengthways
1 tbsp Sweet Freedom natural sweetener (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/gas mark 4. Generously spritz a 21 x 11 x 6 cm/8 x 4 x 21/2 inch loaf tin/pan with low-fat spray or mist.
- Mix the mashed banana with the eggs, vanilla extract and Splenda sweetener.
- Mix the flour with the ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Fold into the banana mixture.
- Finally fold in the melted butter and walnuts and spoon into the prepare tin.
- Position the banana slices on top and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Brush the top with Sweet Freedom glaze if liked and slice to serve.
WLS PORTION: 1/2-1
V suitable for Vegetarians
* suitable for Freezing